Online MPA programmes
- Students should normally have at least a 2:1 undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification and the professional experience outlined below.
- If they don’t have experience of undergraduate study or only of a lower standard, the application may be considered if they have a suitable professional background, as outlined below.
Students should have professional experience in the public policy/public service/public administration/international development field. This could be in roles in local or national government, or in non-governmental, intergovernmental or international organisations, the voluntary and charitable sector, and private sector roles which support or deliver public services or which interact with policy making. The extent of experience should be at least on an early career level, with some degree of involvement in organisational decision-making or with a clear career path towards such responsibilities.
English language requirements
If English isn’t your first language you may need to provide evidence of your ability, such as:
- IELTS: 6.5, with no less than 6.0 in each component
- PTE: 61, with no less than 55 in each component
- CAE and CPE (from January 2015): 176, with no less than 169 in each component
- TOEFL: 87, with a minimum of 21 in each component
- Trinity ISE: level 3 with Merit in all components
- Duolingo – minimum overall score of 115
You need to have completed the test within two years of the start date of your programme. You cannot combine scores from more than one sitting of the test.
You will not need to provide evidence of your English language abilities:
- if you’re from a specified majority English-speaking country
- if you’ve completed a degree in English in a specified country within two years of your intended start date